We are hiring a Construction Manager to help us realize our mission to better the lives of animals by building a place that’s better for all of us who love them. This role will be responsible for building functional, efficient, and beautiful Modern Animal clinics with as much attention to detail and care as our team brings to every pet and client we serve.
This role will require knowledge and understanding around contractor bidding, construction, procurement, project turnover, and close out. The ideal candidate has experience in construction project management, and is eager to grow into their role with mentorship from the Senior Manager and Director. We are looking for someone with excellent self-discipline, organization and communication skills, who thrives in a cross-functional and collaborative environment. The ideal candidate is excited about rolling up their sleeves to bring our mission to life as we grow!
This role will require travel sufficient to deliver on our clinic development objectives (up to +/- 30%). Ideally the candidate will be based out of Texas or Southern California, as the majority of the work in the near term is within Southern California and Texas, but will extend to other areas throughout the West.
What the job entails:
- Independently manages the construction process for multiple, concurrent projects
- Leads weekly OAC project meetings to effectively manage the General Contractor, and align efforts with the Design Manager and their design consultants (architects + engineers). The Construction and Design Managers together to ensure alignment and provide visibility into shifting timelines and priorities
- Thoroughly reviews construction drawings and advises on any potential issues and provides ideas and solutions on how to reduce construction costs and schedule
- Clearly and effectively communicates potential project issues and provides solutions to resolve them
- Maintains set construction budgets to confirm alignment with projected capital expenditures. Tracks overall construction cost through project completion.
- Keeps project schedules updated weekly. Communicates regularly with cross-functional teams on projected completion date and risks of delay.
- Manages the bid process and conducts post-bid interviews from a team of General Contractors. Produces a post-bid report for review with the Senior Manager. Manager and Senior Manager select the general contractors based on cost and schedule efficiency and build quality.
- Partners with the real estate team to evaluate potential sites, provide initial cost estimates and advises on technical lease issues
- Collaborates with design managers throughout the design phase to help guide the project through updated budgets and buildability feedback
- Partners with the supply chain team to confirm and track all furnished items and ensures items are provided to the contractor and our team as needed and on time
- Regularly communicates and partners with the new clinic opening (NCO) team and tracks project completion and milestones for turnover to operations
- Works with the facilities team to provide necessary close out documentation and final feedback on any facilities issues
- Provides regular touch points and updates to internal teams such as operations, clinic training, finance and accounting, and others to ensure each projects success prior to launch
Why you’d be a great fit:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Construction Management, Architecture, or a related field
- 3-5+ years of construction project management experience
- Veterinary, medical and/or retail industry experience preferred
- Collaborative go-getter who is willing to roll up their sleeves and be hands on
- Enthusiasm for thinking outside the box to tackle complex problems
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Detail-oriented and strategic, sweating the small stuff but also seeing the big picture
- Ability to easily assess the state of progress for projects and how best to accelerate
- Exhilarated by a fast-paced, ever-changing and sometimes unpredictable environment
- Operate with high emotional intelligence and exceptional communication skills
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of gantt charts, CAD drawings, Procore, Google Workspace, and Microsoft Office Systems
What you can expect from us:
- Excellent medical, vision, & dental coverage with various options
- 401k savings plan with a company match
- Flexible time off & paid parental leave
- Free membership to Modern Animal for your furry family members and discounts on extra services
- Free membership to One Medical for primary care
- Access to behavioral and mental health services through Ginger
- WFH stipends to help you set up your home office while we build out an office
- A collaborative team who has your back and will welcome you as part of our pack
The pay range for this position is $85,000 - $152,000 annually; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on bonus and equity grant units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. This information is provided per the California Pay Transparency Act. Base pay information is based on geographic location.
We believe an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. We’re not looking for candidates who are “culture fits.” We’re looking for candidates who can expand our culture and challenge business as usual. We strive to foster an environment where all staff can bring their whole selves to work, by their own definition, and we strive to provide all candidates with an equitable and accessible recruitment process.
We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics.
In addition to federal law requirements, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
If we can offer accommodations for you in the recruitment process, or if you have feedback on how to make our recruiting more equitable or accessible, please let us know!
Something looks off?