Director, Innovation (Supplements)
Sales & Business Development
Culver City, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2023
Ritual is a personal health brand that is building the future of daily essentials. Our mission is simple: we help turn healthy habits into a Ritual. We started by creating the first visible supply chain of its kind and reinventing the daily multivitamin from the ground up. Now, together with some of the world’s leading scientists, researchers and advisors, we’re developing a new standard of high-quality, traceable daily products across new categories. Hundreds of thousands of customers across generations trust us, and we are growing quickly.
We’ve built a team of over 120 (and counting) curious skeptics, world-class scientists, unconventional artists, expert marketers, and analytical strategists. We’re venture-backed and based in sunny Los Angeles. If you’re looking to challenge the status quo and be challenged to do the best work of your career, join us.
We are adding an entrepreneurial nutrition innovation leader to our team, unlocking our potential to turn more of our best ideas into best selling products through our new product development and introduction process. This person is a strategic project leader who is the voice of each new product, connecting the functions from across the team to understand risk and reward, and represent the opportunity to the business.
They are responsible for shaping the identity of a new product through an understanding of the consumer and the brand from first brief through final GTM transition, resulting in a traceable ritual that solves a real problem for the end user. Joining the R&D Innovation team, this role has the potential to make an impact that is felt across the entire company and our entire customer base.
What You'll Do:
- Lead new product development projects, achieving objectives with business level impact throughout each stage of our process
- Complete ongoing innovation discovery to uncover compelling consumer problems to solve with high revenue potential
- Drive alignment on innovation briefs for new products, incorporating consumer insights, business opportunity, category understanding, and cultural undercurrents
- Drive and represent the business opportunity for each project, leading innovation finance processes, including projections and pricing strategy in close collaboration across channel leaders
- Deliver category-defining claims, leading claims kick-off and partnering across teams on claims development and final delivery
- Kick off and play an essential voice in all cross-functional decisions needed for the product (i.e. consumer insights, packaging selection, flavor development, etc).
- Drive and represent the brand positioning for each project throughout the product identity process, which includes naming and packaging
- Create and maintain clear internal materials aligning teams around the final body of work, including the product positioning and the business opportunity
- Lead internal meetings to inform and inspire teammates to deliver their best work, including the critical GTM transition that precedes the marketing launch
- Interface with c-suite leadership in order to keep each project on track, including giving project updates and risk assessments, and requesting business decisions as needed
- Proactively define and improve Innovation Strategy processes with business level impact, partnering across departments as needed to achieve results. Contribute to nutrition innovation strategy, playing a key role in the long-term future of our portfolio strategy.
Who You Are:
- Nutrition Leader. You consider nutrition the ultimate form of wellness, and you’ve launched bestselling supplements or nutrition products
- Committed to the consumer. You care about crafting products that improve the end user’s daily routine, and your career demonstrates that
- Traceability advocate. You’re invested in traceability and quality at the ingredient level, and you think transparent ingredient information should be the norm
- Curious and analytical. You channel an entrepreneurial spirit and form recommendations that are rooted in facts and the future of culture
- Empowered collaborator. You navigate decisions head on. You challenge the status quo and have the courage to take an unpopular stance
- Big picture thinker. You appreciate the role of each product in building our brand. You have experience in the creative work behind best selling products (e.g. naming, packaging design).
What You Need:
- Education: BS/BA, preferably in the Business or Marketing field. Equivalent experience also accepted
- Experience: VMS or nutrition experience required plus 8+ years experience as a leader of complex projects. Confident presenter with excellent communication skills, understanding of basic financial assessment processes (size of prize, projections) and Innovation or Brand Management experience preferred.
Compensation and Benefits:
- PAY RANGE: $130,000 - $193,000
- Your base salary is one part of your total compensation package. The salary range represents the entire compensation range for this position. Exact compensation will depend on a number of factors, which may include the successful candidate's skills, level, years of experience, technical expertise, and other qualifications. Not all candidates will be eligible for the upper end of the salary range. This role is also eligible for equity + generous benefits + 401k + unlimited PTO etc - see our list of perks/ benefits below.
Additional Compensation, Benefits and Perks:
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Healthcare & Dependent Care FSA
- Equity participation
- 401k Match - Up to 4%
- Pet Insurance
- Free Ritual Forever
- Unlimited PTO - 10 days minimum to keep you fresh
- 18 paid holidays
- Bi-Annual Performance Reviews
- "Ritual First Fridays" - Entire company takes off the first Friday of each month while we are working remotely
- 5 months paid maternity/paternity leave and we cover health insurance during any additional time taken under-protected baby bonding time off
- Flex time for returning to work birth-parents
- Childcare stipend (monthly expense)
- New hire set up stipend
- Maven Clinic, a family planning platform for all Ritual and employees and dependents.
- Periodic group workouts with trainers on Zoom
- Annual wellness stipend
Since launching in October 2016, Ritual has grown to be a cultural revolution in the health industry. We’re not about pseudoscience, half-truths or health fads. We are simple, effective, and backed by real science. We have some pretty great benefits & perks for full-time employees related to our office environment, however, they have been limited due to the global health situation. See below for our adjusted available perks until we can get back into the office together!
Ritual is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to bringing together humans from different backgrounds and perspectives, providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We strive to create a diverse & inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do impactful work together.
California Residents: Privacy Notice for California Job Applicants