Assistant, Product Development
Assistant, Product Development
Posted August 16, 2023
We are on a mission to get people outside and inspire healthier, happier, and more fulfilling lives by creating innovative outdoor furniture. Outer is a Series B venture-backed startup based in Santa Monica, California.
We founded Outer to bring life outside, creating the most durable, comfortable, and sustainable furniture so we can feel inspired to disconnect from our screens and instead connect to nature and the people around us. Everything in the Outer world begins from a place of authentic observation and curiosity and we're always inspired by the ever-expanding possibilities of what we’ll do next. Furniture is only the beginning of our journey.
Our Co-Founder & Chief Design Officer was the former Head Furniture Designer at Pottery Barn, and our Executive team brings decades of experience from P&G, OXO, Casper, IDEO, Zynga, Rebag, Riot Games, and Wayfair.
The Product Development Assistant (physical product) will support a multi-disciplinary team focused on designing and developing premium quality, innovative products as part of our aggressive growth strategy. This team member will immerse themselves in several categories of outdoor furniture becoming an expert in the market landscape and consumer needs. They will learn about all aspects of physical product development from the ground up, as well as the cross-functional collaboration required to achieve financial goals, operational efficiency, and to maximize the potential of every launch.You’ll have the opportunity to bring premium consumer experiences to life through amazing products.
Given the stage of Outer and the ever-evolving business strategy and needs of the company, this role will change over time. New and exciting opportunities arise every day and we are looking for candidates who will embrace and be motivated by that flexibility.
This position reports to the Director of Product Development and will share in the responsibility of driving growth and generating revenue to deliver best-in-class new products to the market.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Support the Director of Product Development in all aspects of category planning and product management, including creation of category roadmaps, product briefs, product marketing briefs, and financial analysis.
- Work closely with Design and Engineering to ensure project goals are met throughout development.
- Research trends, materials, competitive landscape, user needs and more in support of category planning and product management.
- Collaborate with Marketing, Ecommerce, Sales and Operations as part of our Go-to-Market process, ensuring a timely sharing of key information that contributes to successful product launches.
- Collaborate with Asia Sourcing Team and manufacturing partners to further new product development in accordance with critical timelines.
- Effectively manage day-to-day communications in a timely and professional manner.
- Contribute to the success of company by leading or assisting with other projects and tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and 0-2 years of experience in Product Development, Merchandising, or similar.
- Can provide examples of strong analytical skills, such as the ability to generate ideas from a review of sales data, market landscape, and/or user research.
- Thoughtful and collaborative approach to problem-solving. Able to provide examples of foreshadowing obstacles and planning ahead. Able to provide examples of working with a team to overcome a multifaceted challenge.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Able to develop comprehensive but concise spreadsheets, presentation slides and emails.
- An ownership mentality and a passion for Product, the Outdoor space, our Brand, and our Consumer.
- Must have the ability to multitask, prioritize completion of projects and work closely with departments to ensure tasks are being completed on time.
- An understanding of the Design Process, and it’s role in the Concept-to-Customer Journey is a plus.
- Design research experience a plus.
- Comfortable with a small amount of domestic travel for research and in person team / company meetings or events.
If you don’t meet 100% of these requirements but are certain you would do a great job on Day 1, please consider applying anyway!
WHAT WE VALUE
- Benevolence--we seek to do good for everyone in our orbit: our customers, our teammates, our vendors, our community, our planet
- Collaboration--we acknowledge each other's humanness and are each other’s biggest advocates, cheerleaders, and caretakers
- Action--we value progress over process and have the courage to challenge the status quo
- Curiosity--we are lifelong learners and seek to understand before being understood
WHAT WE PROVIDE IN RETURN
Outer provides a robust total rewards package, including competitive compensation packages, unlimited PTO, medical & wellness plans, 401(k), life insurance, and more.
This is a full-time position. The salary range is $60,000 to $70,000 per year. Send resume to email@example.com.
Outer is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diverse voices, backgrounds, and perspectives on our team. We don’t discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.