DVM Externship 2024
Prefer to watch instead of read? Check out “Inside Modern Animal” for a glimpse into who we are and what makes us different.
Modern Animal is building a warmer, smarter, happier veterinary company. With a technology-forward approach and a deep commitment to our people, Modern Animal is building the next generation of general practice veterinary care—one that balances the needs of practitioners just as much as pet owners and their animals. Our veterinarians are equipped with the tools, structure, and support they need to practice the highest quality of medicine, without compromising on the boundaries between work and life. We provide care through our small animal general practice clinics in California, Texas, and virtually through the Modern Animal app.
An externship at Modern Animal will give you comprehensive exposure to everything general practice. You will participate in the highest quality of medicine, urgent care, surgery, and dentistry while experiencing how technology improves every step of the process. We offer 2-4 week externships at our California and Texas locations but keep an eye out as we expand to different locations throughout the U.S.
- Southern California (West Hollywood, Pasadena, Studio City, Playa Vista, Culver City, Manhattan Beach)
- Northern California (Nopa, Berkeley, Mill Valley, Walnut Creek, Russian Hill)
- Texas (Austin and Dallas locations coming soon)
Why you’d be a good fit:
- You want to experience a better, more sustainable veterinary practice
- You want to be a part of the change bringing technology to veterinary medicine
- You want to learn from talented and diverse professionals
What you can expect from us:
- Shadow an exceptional care team
- Practice technical skills
- Deep dive into medical and surgical case management
- Exposure to technology in veterinary medicine
- Unique mentorship and networking opportunities
- Early access to employment opportunities upon graduation
To apply, you must:
- Be a student at an AVMA-accredited veterinary school
- Apply at least 2-3 months prior to the proposed externship start date
- Are externships at Modern Animal paid?
- Modern Animal externships are not paid experiences. Our externships provide one on one, hands-on learning experiences to students. Gaining experience as a student helps you to expand your knowledge and stretch the boundaries of what is possible.
- Will my housing be covered by Modern Animal?
- *Housing assistance is considered on a case-by-case basis *****
- How long can I do an externship?
- Modern Animal externships can be anywhere from 1-2 weeks in length. Modern Animal recognizes that some externships will need to be longer; these externships are available on a limited first come first serve basis.
- During what year of vet school am I able to complete an externship?
- Currently externships are available to 2nd, 3rd and 4th year students.
- What is your vaccination policy for externs?
- We require that students completing externships to be either fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit a negative COVID-19 test result weekly.
We believe an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. We’re not looking for candidates who are “culture fits.” We’re looking for candidates who can expand our culture and challenge business as usual. We strive to foster an environment where all staff can bring their whole selves to work, by their own definition, and we strive to provide all candidates with an equitable and accessible recruitment process.
We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics.
In addition to federal law requirements, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
If we can offer accommodations for you in the recruitment process, or if you have feedback on how to make our recruiting more equitable or accessible, please let us know!