Staff Software Engineer, Cloud Platform
Because we live to sanctify time, we’ve gone ahead and provided the answers to all the questions we think you should be asking us. For more details, read on!
laurel’s Mission to Return Time:
We’re a team that is connected by time. Life has taught us its true value and finite nature. We value every minute and are on a mission to return time. And we live and breathe that mission in everything we do — from how we build our product that saves our customers time to how we operate as a company.
Come work with a team that’s intelligent yet humble, visionary yet gets things done. A team that’s only getting started at cracking a problem that affects every person who uses a screen to work.
Come build a company that will stand the test of time as we look to understand time itself.
We all waste a staggering amount of time at work (~33%) because we have no idea where we are spending it. Worse yet, we continue to operate in a factory model that simply does not apply to creative work. Our big bet is that by understanding time, we’ll be able to move away from it as a unit of value. In the future knowledge economy (lawyers, accountants, engineers), contributions will be assessed on value added, not the underlying time spent adding it.
Ambitious mission to say the least, so where are we starting? We have created a new market category called Time Automation that automates the timekeeping process for professionals and allows us to collect time data at scale. Before laurel, professionals had to manually record every six minutes of their day into antiquated timekeeping software. Not anymore. We are moving away from a world in which humans tell a machine what they did at work, to our version of the world in which the machine tells the human.
We are a Series B company (>$55M in venture capital from Tier 1 funds) that has assembled some of the best builders, designers, and product minds in tech—and we all have one thing in common: we are deeply motivated by our mission to return time.
We are looking for individuals who share our passion of returning time. Come join us on our journey as we spend time solving time. It will be a long road but if we’re even half right, we’ll change the way work is measured and performed forever.
About the Role:
Within Laurel’s engineering team, we are affectionately known as the Time Owls team. We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer, Cloud Platform to join our team! Time Owls are an infrastructure team that is focused on building the best platform for developers to develop and run services so that customers can keep and automate time reliably.
Our team promotes and builds highly reliable, secure Global infrastructure. We also value the importance of work-life harmony and positive mental health under the inevitable pressures and demands of building a startup. We write and maintain software, define and enforce best practices, and teach our fellow engineers best practices on how to run software in production.
The ideal candidate has solid experience in cloud infrastructure and also has a deep interest in and knowledge of cloud security, to lend a hand, until we scale and have a dedicated security engineering team.
- Lead and ship large-scope technical projects that our entire engineering and product teams depend on
- Teach, share, and produce within AWS and container and orchestration technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Provide guidance and mentorship to cross functional team members of your deep understanding of cloud security and certifications
- Set best practices to enable engineers to:
- Run reliable systems
- Build secure software
- Maintain healthy on-call rotations
- Participation in an on-call rotation for core infrastructure needs as they arise
Required Skills and Experience:
- 6+ years of industry experience within a SaaS software development organization
- Comfortability building (programming) in at least one of the following languages and the ability to read and understand the others:
- Deep experience owning infrastructure
- Previous hands on experience working as part of an incident response process
- Understanding of SRE principles and monitoring/observability practices as well as experience implementing SLOs/SLIs
- Comfortable with Terraform and infrastructure as code principles
- Docker and Kubernetes experience in a production environment
- Experience operating SQL/NoSQL database systems and production experience with load balancers, caches, message queues, proxies, DNS
- Deep understanding of cloud security best practices
- Extensive experience with GDPR, CCPA and SOC2 compliance
- Comfortable working within a remote team
- Comfortable writing documentation for and giving presentations to engineers
Additional Desired Experience with:
- Helm Charts
- Open Telemetry
- AWS GuardDuty
Core Teammates (and timezones):
- VP. Engineering (Direct Manager, PT)
- Cloud Platform Engineering Lead (ET)
- 2X Cloud Platform Engineers (PT)
- Product Manager (PT)
You will collaborate cross-functionally with the wider engineering and product organization. Our engineering organization is primarily in the continental US, but we also have team members in Canada and the UK.
The Hiring Process:
- Phone call with the principal recruiter (30 min.)
- Video interview with the hiring manager (45 min.)
- Video interview with the lead engineer (60 min.)
- Video interview with wider engineering team members (90 min.)
- Video interview with leadership (1 X 60 min - 1 X 30 min)
- References & Background Check
$190K - $225K, plus equity
Flexibility and Logistics:
- Location: Up to you! You can be fully remote, or work in one our offices (San Francisco, Los Angeles, Portland). If you’re close to our SF, LA or Portland offices, we’d love to have you into the office - the choice is yours.
- Work Times: Core hours of 10am-2pm PT M-F, but otherwise completely flexible.
- Compensation: Competitive salary, generous equity, comprehensive medical/dental/vision coverage with covered premiums, 401(k), additional benefits including wellness/commuter/FSA stipends.
- Visa Sponsorship: Unfortunately we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
- What happens if my kid or I are sick on a workday? Take all the time you need! We’ll cover for you. And send you some soup.
Not sure if you meet the qualifications? Keep reading…
At Laurel, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge the status quo. If you’re interested in joining us on our mission to return time, then we encourage you to apply, even if you don’t perfectly match every single bullet on the job description. We promise to review your application. Laurel is an equal opportunity employer, and we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment, free from discrimination or harassment, for all employees.
Something looks off?