Government Relations Manager
Who we are
HopSkipDrive’s mission is to create opportunity for all through mobility. Our innovative, supplemental school transportation solutions are used by over 400 school districts, charter schools, nonprofits, government agencies, as well as busy families to safely and reliably get kids where they need to go.
Student transportation is the largest mass transit system in the U.S. The way kids get to and from school has a direct impact on our kids, families, schools and communities. While school districts spend $28 billion annually on transportation, only 30% of kids get to school on a bus. The current system can no longer meet all the transportation needs of our districts, schools and families — and its shortcomings are causing inequities in educational access that are affecting the welfare of millions of kids each day.
HopSkipDrive is taking a different approach to arranging safe, reliable school transportation that meets needs that aren’t being addressed by the current system, helping to fill gaps and supplement the student transportation options available. We create personalized transportation solutions for the one to the many, and everything in between.
We’re a company with heart
Our partnerships with school districts, child welfare agencies and nonprofits ensure equitable educational access for the most vulnerable populations, including youth in foster care, children experiencing homelessness and students with disabilities.
We understand that the difference between struggle and success can sometimes be as simple as the ability to show up, which is why we’re on a mission to use innovative technology — coupled with operational expertise and new ways of thinking — to help kids reach their full potential by providing a safe, dependable way to get them where they are going.
We’re an awesome place to work
Our company culture has been well-recognized — HopSkipDrive has been named to Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list, as well as Best Places to Work lists from Built In LA, Comparably, Inc., and the Los Angeles Business Journal. Comparably also named us a Best Company for Professional Development, as well as to its Best CEO and Best CEOs for Women lists.
We’re growing rapidly
Founded by three moms as a solution to their own transportation challenges, we now operate across over 20 major markets and more than a dozen states across the country. We continue to expand at a rapid pace, making the Inc. 5000 list four times, as well as the Deloitte 500 Fast-Growing Technology list. HopSkipDrive has raised $100M in funding to date.
At HopSkipDrive, community is at the heart of everything we do. We are committed to fostering an inclusive and supportive community, both within our organization and externally, to ensure the safety and efficiency of the rides we provide to our valued community members. To further advance this mission, we are seeking a dynamic and strategic Government Relations Manager to join our legal and policy team.
Under the supervision of the Senior Director of Government Relations, you will be responsible for tracking and analyzing evolving policies in specific markets, including legislative tracking of bills that may impact or present an opportunity for HopSkipDrive. You will play a leading role in setting policy agendas – acting as the primary point of contact for state and local government officials to advance HopSkipDrive’s mission.
- Develop, foster, and strengthen relationships with key members of relevant regulatory bodies and third parties.
- Analyze legislative and regulatory opportunities in specified existing and expansion markets, and help inform policy strategy.
- Work cross-functionally with internal stakeholders to ensure that emerging issues and trends are clearly understood and advise on steps to address them.
- Identify opportunities to collaborate with stakeholders, policymakers and leaders with similar missions, and cultivate those connections.
- Draft and edit position papers, testimony, and comments on proposed legislative and regulatory actions.
- Manage external consultants to assist with key policy priorities
What We’re Looking For:
The following duties will be performed under the direction of the Senior Director of Government Relations:
- At least 5 - 6 years of combined experience in government relations, regulatory agency, and/ or business experience preferred
- Advanced degree (MA, JD, MPP) preferred, but not required
- Experience in public utilities, transportation, and/or education strongly preferred
- Experience with the legislative process and working with lobbyists
- Proven ability to research and analyze statutes and regulations with diligence and attention to detail
- Proven ability to understand and translate the impacts of a policy on the Company
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to serve as the public face of HopSkipDrive to policymakers and governmental contacts in each market
- Proven ability to build relationships with stakeholders and identify policy-related opportunities that will further HopSkipDrive’s mission
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to develop strategic policy plans and advance several policy initiatives simultaneously
- Ability to keep a finger on the pulse of policy conversations in specified markets and identify opportunities for the company
** This role will be fully remote from a state where we do business AZ, CA, CO, FL, IL, KS, MD, MI, MO, NC, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OK, OR, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI**
What you will get
We want you to be an owner in our company and share in executing our vision, so every full-time employee has equity. In addition, we offer flexible vacation, medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 401(k), FSA, and an opportunity to work for a uniquely positioned, VC-backed company in a hugely attractive space with significant upside potential. HopSkipDrive is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. The salary range for this role is $115,000- $135,000. This compensation will ultimately be in line with the location in which the position is filled. Final compensation for this role will be determined by several factors such as a candidate’s relevant work experience, skill set, certifications, and specific work location. The total compensation package for this role also includes equity stock options.
Equal Opportunity Employer
HopSkipDrive is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other protected class. HopSkipDrive is also proud to operate as a drug-free workplace.