Full Stack Software Engineer
At Heroic Story, we're building a platform for community crafted RPGs, where creativity has no limits.
Join our engineering team and help us build innovative and high impact creative experiences!
The Mission 🚀
Creating stories can be fun and beautiful, and also a huge pain. We're turning the production of stories into a multiplayer game, and helping storytellers — the most under-rewarded creators in history — capture more value from their writing, art, and creativity.
We're doing this by building a massively multiplayer tabletop RPG platform. It gives storytellers superpowers - the tools to build deep and meaningful connected RPG experiences with their fans, and a 10x more efficient economy than anything that currently exists.
The role ⛑️
We're looking for someone to own substantial portions of the product. You'll be working directly with the founders and a team of senior engineers to make sure our product, tech, and design goals are met. Join us on this epic journey and help us shape the creator economy of tomorrow!🚀
Our Co-founders 🧑🤝🧑
The brothers Rosenkrantz — Jay and Scott — have shipped VR games, built virtual influencers on Twitch, and popular entertainment across all media including film and television. During the Internet poker boom of the 2000s, Jay was one of the top online poker players in the world (he even starred on a reality television show that he co-created)!
Some of the top writers and storytellers in the world (Marvel, Star Wars) are contributing to our shared world, and we're well-capitalized with funding from top entertainment funds, and gaming industry angels including the co-founder of Twitch and co-founder of Kabam.
Hard problems we're solving 🎯
Help digital creators get paid what they deserve: We're turning the production of stories into a multiplayer game, and helping writers and artists — the most under-rewarded creators in history — capture more value from their work.
Build an AI powered platform, which doesn’t sacrifice meaningful storytelling experiences for technological power: bridging the gap between AI technologies and the best experiences human creativity has to offer.
Revenue sharing and payments: we're making a virtual economy and we want people to make a living from our gaming platform — that's the level of impact our technology will have. We'll need high reliability, extensibility, and thoughtful separation of concerns. We want to grow our games and offerings over time, and we'll need to think through how we release our updates so the platform can last many years.
What you might do in first 60 days 🗓️
- Let's talk about that over a coffee :)
- LinkedIn (preferred) or resume
- Github repo (preferred) or code snippet you think is representative
- Include a note that explains what you are looking for, and what honestly draws you to Heroic Story and this role.
- (Optional) Writing you've done, games or entertainment projects you've created, or anything else you think is relevant
You will be successful on our team if you:
- Write code for 1. other humans to read; and 2. for machines to optimally execute
- Are capable of operating autonomously
- Like to cover your work with unit tests
- Are flexible in switching context and working on what’s important today
- Work well within a team and can effectively communicate (async & realtime)
- Have experience with our current technology stack (Docker/Node/TypeScript/React/GraphQL/Next) or equivalent technologies
- Have built SPA’s, client-server applications, micro-services and/or API’s
- Can work with SQL & NoSQL db’s
- Have a working knowledge of dev ops
- Previous experience working on RPG projects
- Experience building games
- Direct experience on a high growth consumer product
- Writer, artist, or storyteller
Company values and what it's like to work here
During our YC batch, we were considered one of the most fun companies! That feeling of fun during the work week permeates the culture we are building. You can read more about our core values and team here: https://www.notion.so/heroicstory/Jobs-at-Heroic-Story-e632e23e8788404a9548acba24b7bc25