Senior Backend Engineer, Ad Exchange
GumGum is a contextual-first, global digital advertising platform that uses advanced AI technology to serve captivating creative ads that drive consumer attention, without the use of personal data. At GumGum, we don’t need to know who you are to deliver relevant and engaging ads that align with your active frame of mind. We believe that a digital advertising industry based on context rather than personal data builds a more equitable and less invasive future for the internet and is better for consumers, publishers and advertisers alike. Our blueprint for the future, The Mindset Matrix™, combines the power of context and creative in digital advertising to deliver superior attention and drive consumer action without sacrificing personal data.
To be a part of this next phase of digital advertising that prioritizes data privacy, please visit www.gumgum.com/careers
The Ad Exchange engineering team is responsible for the technical implementation and operations of our Ad Exchange technology. The Ad Exchange software handles a high volume of requests (30 million requests per minute) and is a highly distributed Java web service. Our team currently uses technologies such as Java, Spring, MySQL, Kafka, DynamoDB, ScyllaDB, ElastiCache, etc.
This role will focus on maximizing revenue for one of the core business lines for GumGum. You will be responsible for optimizing millions of Real-Time Bidding (RTB) auctions happening in the exchange and implementing various algorithms to increase bid rates from Demand Side Platforms (DSPs), maximize revenue, and reduce the cost of processing inventory impressions. This role requires an extensive knowledge of and experience with AdTech concepts such as RTB, as the team will work closely together to brainstorm ideas and test their theories.
Note: GumGum currently operates in a ‘work from home’ virtual environment with sporadic opportunities for in-person business and morale events (health guidelines permitting). There will not be any requirement to go into the office on a daily basis moving forward. GumGum is only open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and MN.
What You'll Achieve
- Design and develop high volume, high traffic web services written in Java, orchestrated with Spring, and using data from MySQL, Scylla (Cassandra) and DynamoDB
- Engage in technical architecture discussions, solve ambiguous problems, and execute on a solution with a diverse team of engineers across Ad Server, Data, and Web Engineering teams
- Work directly with cutting-edge machine learning and distributed computing technologies in a highly scalable, cloud-based environment to optimize metrics related to Real-Time Bidding (RTB)
- Develop traffic-shaping algorithms that will increase the Fill Rate
- Create algorithms to optimize KPIs such as TMAX, Win Rate, Revenue, Cost and Margin etc.
- Improve performance of the Ad Server, including reducing RTB Auction Latency, increasing throughput and optimizing AWS cost by leveraging various metrics available for the Ad Server
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of the advertising industry to guide decisions about our technical approach and key features to implement
- Use technology innovatively to implement various ad tech features, privacy frameworks and setup integrations with external partners
- Collaborate with Product and internal stakeholders to identify, prioritize and develop new features and improvements for our products, as well as provide support for any stakeholder issues
- Collaborate with other Engineers and Engineering teams outside of Ad Exchange team, ensuring requirements are considered and met for cross team projects
Skills You'll Bring
- B.S. in Computer Science preferred or equivalent experience
- Must have experience in a high volume transaction system > 100k transactions/second
- Must have experience in AdTech domain with successful implementation of Ad Products at an AdTech company
- Must have experience with Real-Time Bidding (RTB) in the AdTech domain
- Experience working with AWS and distributed systems such as Kafka, DynamoDB or equivalent
- 3-5 years of experience as a senior engineer with deep understanding of programming languages (preferably Java and Spring Framework)
- Experience in taking ownership of end to end product implementation and providing stakeholder updates
- A history of successfully shipping products related to AdTech RTB into production
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to work with cross-functional and distributed teams, including remote collaboration
- Fast learner with excellent problem-solving skills in highly complex multi-threaded applications
- Experience with RDBMS systems
- Experience with Git, Gradle, and CI/CD delivery pipelines
- Understanding of the Real-Time Bidding protocol (RTB)
- Organized self-starter with proactive attitude
- Critical thinker, able to break down complex problems and work with ambiguity
- Ability to work in fast paced work environment and switch priorities as needed
- Ability to manage workload
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong collaborative attitude
- Proactive in suggesting ideas and potential improvements
What We Offer
At GumGum, competitive base pay is a part of a total rewards package which also includes benefits, an emphasis on recognition, development, and wellness. The reasonable estimated base pay range for this role is from (166,000 - 190,000) annually. The actual amount may be higher or lower. Individual compensation will vary based on factors including, but not limited to, relevant qualifications, work location, and labor market conditions.
The total rewards package offered also includes an employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan, and depending on the role, participation in a bonus, commission, or stock incentive program. Your recruiter can share more specifics during the hiring process. Learn more about our U.S. benefits & perks package at gumgum.com/benefits.
- Shortlisted for Marketing Technology Company of the Year for the 2023 Mumbrella Awards
- 2024 Winner of 7 BuiltIn Awards on a national, regional, and remote scale - including Remote Best Places to Work at #25 and Best Midsize Places to Work in Los Angeles, CA at #9
- Ad Exchanger Programmatic Power Player 2022 and 2021
- CTO Hero Award of OTT.X 2023
- Digiday Media Awards Europe finalist 2022 and 2021
- Finalist for the 2023 AdExchanger Awards Best Video Technology For Media Suppliers
- Gold Award at the IAB Mixx Awards in Belgium in the “Best Use of Advertising Technology” category
- The Drum Award Digital Advertising: Game-changing Technology for Domino's case study
GumGum is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. At GumGum, we believe in cultivating an environment where our team members can bring their authentic, whole selves to work. Encouraging identity and belonging is one of the many aspects of our culture that makes us stronger as an organization and drives innovation. We are committed to building and delivering a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workforce that is representative of the world around us, where all individuals are treated with respect and dignity - and to act swiftly if this value is ever threatened. We are constantly striving to be better, and we continue to take strategic steps to advance representation. - Phil Schraeder, CEO
Learn more about our DEIB programming at gumgum.com/deib
Follow us on our socials...
Instagram: @gumgum & @dogsofgumgum
Tweet us: @gumgum