Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, April 8, 2023
Are you looking to make an impact on a new legal affairs team? Do you enjoy preparing strong legal documentation and managing internal processes in a highly cross functional environment? Then we might have the perfect opportunity for you.
ChowNow’s vision is to become the leading North American platform connecting diners and independent restaurants for at-home dining. The ChowNow Platform continues to grow its product offerings and bring restaurants and diners closer together. Our marketplace provides a commission-free ordering for restaurants nationwide and diners with an ever-growing selection of independent restaurants. Our demand network provides diners with the ability to order where they’re already online, including Google, Yelp, Instagram, Snap, and many others. And our white-labeled online ordering system provides restaurants with a branded experience for diners on their website and their own iOS and Android apps for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. To date, we’ve created over 20,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners and the same goes for our culture.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. We pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. As we expand to new markets, while scaling responsibly, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase.
Join us and help ensure ChowNow becomes the diner’s first choice for socially responsible online ordering. Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
As our Paralegal, you will be specifically responsible for research and document preparation for legal transactions and proceedings. You will also be dedicated to contract and internal process management. While partnering with various internal teams, you will own the management of the expanding legal tool set, act as a first level filter for legal issues, and provide legislation/compliance monitoring.
Reports to Senior Director of Legal Affairs; no direct reports
This is a hybrid position working out of our Culver City Headquarters 2 days a week.
WHAT WE LOVE ABOUT YOU:
You put restaurants first. You deeply understand the importance of local restaurants and put them at the center of everything you do. You aim to help them not only survive but thrive.
You celebrate diversity. You recognize that diversity and inclusivity matter. You’re committed to progress, which means everyone gets the support and resources they need, no matter who they are. You have an ability to listen to other team members' ideas and can thrive in an environment that embraces individuality. Everyone’s voice counts.
You raise your hand. You consistently go above and beyond what is asked of you. You help your peers accomplish their tasks while also excelling at accomplishing your own. When you have a smart idea, you raise your hand and share it.
You keep reaching. You set clear ambitious goals. You don’t allow yourself to become complacent with where you’re at and what you’ve done, so you seek out new opportunities and challenges.
SPECIFICALLY, YOU WILL:
- Assist with the preparation, filing and service of incoming legal matters
- Act as a liaison among all parties including court or other neutral parties for scheduling and sharing information
- Organize and manage documents, including the creation of spreadsheets and retrieval systems
- Coordinate the collection, review & production of documents.
- Respond to discovery and third party requests
- Researching case-related factual issues using in-house files and outside reference sources
- Compile information and, prepare statistics, charts, graphs and other summaries to detail findings in order to present to leadership
- Implement and enforce company policies
- Assist with ad-hoc cross functional projects, including M&A and privacy work
WITHIN 30 DAYS YOU WILL:
- Progress through our Ramp Camp (ChowNow’s New Hire Onboarding Experience)
- Meet with cross functional leaders and team members in the organization in order to establish relationships and understand needs
- Begin to review and assess existing legal documentation and process
WITHIN 60 DAYS YOU WILL:
- Attend and participate in relevant meetings to help filter legal requests
- Own legal documentation and processes
- Review and monitor all relevant compliance documentation
WITHIN 90 DAYS YOU WILL:
- Provide suggestions and guidance on legal process improvements leveraging data gathered from gaining visibility into the business needs
- Make substantial contributions to legal documentation and compliance monitoring
YOU SHOULD APPLY IF:
- You have at least 2-3 years of experience as a paralegal (or equivalent role) either at a private practice law firm or in-house
- You have knowledge of legal principles and processes
- You have experience with legal and compliance monitoring
- You have drafting and reviewing skills (e.g. licenses, NDA's, coexisting agreements etc).
- You are a collaborative team player with great communication skills, and an empathetic approach.
- You have a data-driven approach to process improvement
- You have an ability to work independently and produce consistent high-quality deliverables
- You are a dynamic, curious, organized and adaptable individual, with a thirst for experimentation and continuous improvement
ABOUT OUR BENEFITS:
- Expected Base Salary Range: $89,300 - $98,700
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities.
- A "Best Place to Work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience.
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Mental Health Coverage - we offer several programs to support your mental health and wellness goals.
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 7 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 8 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave.
- 401(k) Matching
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program.
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool).
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan.
- Pet insurance for your fur babies
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion).
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap in our satellite offices.
As one of ChowNow’s core values, “Celebrates Diversity”, we are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status. We are committed to developing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment, if you require any accommodation, please let us know at your earliest convenience and we’ll work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Read here about your California privacy rights.
See more open positions at ChowNow
Something looks off?