Software Engineering, Other Engineering
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
Density’s mission is to measure and improve our footprint on the world.
We help companies understand how their workplaces are used. We do that by observing behavior in the office through our accurate and always anonymous sensors. In other words: we measure where people actually spend their time in the workplace.
We translate that data into actionable insights that help companies increase the financial and experiential performance of any workplace.
Our product is being deployed globally by companies of all industries and sizes. What these customers have in common is space, and collectively our customers operate and occupy billions of square feet of corporate real estate. We’re architecting infrastructure where annual, unscheduled downtime is measured in minutes. We’re building intelligent redundancies so missed events are an oddity. We’re constructing an exceptional engineering team to support always-on, intelligible analytics generated on the fly.
That’s where you come in.
About the team
We have a consumer product DNA and are building delightful user interfaces across various surfaces. Our goals do not stop at building dashboards for our data, but reach to building five-star experiences for our customers informed by our sensor data. As an Engineering Manager you will be critical in championing the customer experience while also building elegant and scalable software. Being part of a startup, you will be able to contribute meaningfully across management and development from hiring inclusive teams to building rock-solid developer tooling. Further, as an engineer at Density, you will be joining a team and a company that highly values you and the work you do.
As a leader of the Application Engineering team you will be responsible for the customer facing software surface at Density. From day one you might expect, among other responsibilities, to drive cross-functional initiatives, contribute code that multiplies impact on your team, work with product and design leaders, and conduct agile ceremonies.
- Provide technical leadership and direction to the team, helping define the team’s roadmap, architecture, processes, and best practices.
- Recruit, hire, scale, and develop an amazing team of engineers.
- Unblock, support and effectively communicate cross functionally in order to achieve results.
- Act as a mentor to other developers on the team.
- Collaborate with our product management and design teams to understand customer pain points, devise solutions, and then prototype, iterate, and launch rapidly.
- Navigate the tradeoffs involved in building quickly without compromising on quality and negotiating scope accordingly.
- Tackle a wide variety of technical problems throughout the stack and contribute daily across the product code base.
You may be a fit for this role if you have:
- Engineering management experience and 8+ years of overall software development experience.
- Customer empathy and a passion for creating memorable customer experiences.
- Significant exposure to development problems – we use Typescript, React, GraphQL, Go, Python, ArangoDB and Redis on our product teams, but you don’t have to know all of these.
- Appreciation for a collaborative and collegial software environment.
- Experience monitoring, profiling and improving system performance.
- The ability to balance a demanding workload, discern priorities, and communicate tradeoffs effectively.
- A high bar for yourself and others when working with production systems.
- Experience being resourceful, direct, helpful, driven, and mission-oriented.
- Excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, mental and reproductive health, 401K, equity, Flex Fridays, Remote Friendly, unlimited and mandatory PTO and more.
- A company environment full of fun, smart, talented and legitimately kind teammates. Our culture powers everything we do and we work hard to nurture it by bringing on the right humans.
- A team hailing from innovators like Apple, LinkedIn, Stripe, Meraki, Flexport, WeWork, NASA & beyond.
- $227M raised from investors including Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund and Upfront Ventures.
- The chance to change the built world as we know it.
See more open positions at Density
Something looks off?