Product Design Lead
If you can send your friends money in seconds, why does it still take your employer two weeks to send your paycheck?
At Clair, we are on a mission to create financial freedom for America's workers by giving them a digital banking platform that allows them to get paid as soon as they clock out of work. But we're not just another digital bank or on-demand pay provider. We meet Americans at their place of work by embedding our products within the scheduling, workforce management, and payroll apps they already use every day. And, as a social impact fintech, our promise to our users is simple: we'll never charge our users to access the money they've already worked for.
Learn more about us at getclair.com/about
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for a Product Design Lead to help delight Clair customers with a one-of-a-kind digital banking experience. Our customers come across Clair at their workplaces, embedded in the workforce management or payroll systems they use each day. Leading the Design team, you are tasked with both managing our experienced Product Designers and contributing as an individual contributor to the product squads. Reporting to our Head of Consumer Product and working with your team of designers, you will oversee and design product initiatives that move the needle on our core business KPIs and help delight our users. As an internal leader at Clair, you will collaborate closely across the company, discovering issues faced by our customers and business opportunities that will help us deliver on our mission to make hourly workers financially free.
Our ideal candidate has a track record of success in designing mobile-first direct to consumer FinTech products, and has experience managing strong designers.
You will succeed in this role if you are extremely curious and relentlessly focused on speaking with and understanding Clair’s customers. You are a proactive and clear communicator, experienced in collaborating across teams and managing others. You have good design intuition and take ownership over the product’s success, even if you don’t control all the teams contributing to that success. Through strong collaboration, you should be able to create alignment and execute relentlessly.
What you’ll do
- Partner with product and engineering leadership, shape the processes by which Clair’s product is designed, built, and released and help create a product vision and roadmap
- Serve as the primary voice on design systems, guidelines, and best practices to ensure consistency and scalability across the product
- You’ll spend 40% of your time on “product design lead responsibilities” including running design sprints, critiques, design ops, and retros
- You’ll spend 60% of your time as an individual contributor on one of our cross-functional product teams alongside a product manager, software engineers, and others
- Lead and grow a talented team of product designers, providing mentorship, guidance, and fostering a collaborative and results-oriented culture
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including product managers, engineers, marketers, and compliance, to understand business goals and user needs, and translate both into effective design solutions
- Collect and communicate user insights through user testing to inform design decisions
To be successful in this role you should possess the following abilities
- Connect with our mission to foster empathy for customers whose circumstances may be different from your own
- Have a bias towards action - you love taking the lead on challenging problems and hate sitting still
- Have a deep understanding of design principles and the ability to create visually appealing and user-friendly product experiences.
- Communicate excellently, in both written and verbal form
- Collaborate well in team environments, but also be able to act quickly as the decision-maker. You thrive in ambiguity.
Required Experience/ Qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience designing mobile-first products, ideally in FinTech, banking, or other mobile B2C technology at a fast-growing start-up
- Experience leading design teams and/or managing others
- Exceptional design expertise - you’re a skilled product designer who strives to design products that look just as good as they function—leveraging the best design patterns
- Deep understanding of design process and comfort working in an agile environment
- Minimum education of bachelor degree, or equivalent
- Comfortable working with Figma and Adobe Creative Suite
Location: This is a hybrid position based out of New York City.
Compensation: The annual base salary for this role is $140,000-$165,000. The actual base pay within this range depends on many factors, such as education, skills and experience. Base pay is only one part of Clair’s competitive total compensation package which includes benefits, perks and equity. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
Need more convincing?
Apart from getting to work with our incredible team, here are some of the benefits you can expect when you join Clair:
- 100% Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage, with option to extend to your family
- Fully-paid parental leave
- Company-sponsored 401k, HSA, and FSA
- Unlimited vacation for salaried roles, generous PTO for hourly roles
- Work from home setup allowance
- Access to your earnings every day on Clair
- Company-sponsored short-term and long-term disability insurance
Equal Opportunity Employer Information
Clair is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Something looks off?