Head of Product Development
At Apeel, we look to nature to help the global food system extend quality, prevent waste, and ensure an abundant future for our planet.
We believe that our most essential ingredient in our recipe for success is our people. We strive to cultivate an environment where everyone is welcomed, and can bring their full, authentic selves into everything they do at Apeel. Humility, Ingenuity, Leadership and Teamwork are the values that define us and how we work with each other, customers, and communities across the globe.
About This Role
Responsible for driving innovation, research, and technical excellence in Software Development and Data Science (i.e., Software Sciences). You will oversee the Software Sciences division and lead our Software Sciences team. Your focus will be on advancing our Software Sciences team, exploring emerging technologies, defining the product market and helping shape the company's technical strategy to deliver cutting-edge software and data solutions and products to internal and external stakeholders that transform the world’s food system.
[This is an onsite role and will be based out of our headquarters in Goleta, CA]
What You’ll Do
- Provide strategic vision and leadership for the Software Sciences division.
- Develop and execute a revenue generating, software product roadmap from market research, site visits and industry expertise.
- Develop and execute a roadmap for advancing software development practices, leveraging scientific principles and emerging technologies (e.g., Machine Learning, Computer Vision, AI, etc.).
- Collaborate with Executive Leadership to align Software Sciences initiatives with business goals and objectives.
- Drive research and innovation in Software Sciences, exploring new technologies, methodologies, and scientific advancements relevant to Software Engineering and Data Science.
- Foster a culture of innovation, experimentation, and continuous learning within the Software Sciences division.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to identify research opportunities and partnerships.
- Establish and promote best practices, design patterns, and software engineering principles across the organization.
- Ensure the adoption of modern software development methodologies, tools, and technologies.
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to the Software Sciences team, promoting technical excellence and growth.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including product management, engineering, and research, to align Software Sciences initiatives with product development goals.
- Drive collaboration and knowledge sharing across teams to leverage collective expertise and foster innovation.
- Act as a liaison between the Software Sciences division and other departments to facilitate effective communication and collaboration.
- Recruit, develop, and manage a high-performing Software Sciences team.
- Contract, manage, and retain third party software development teams (USA and International)
- Provide leadership, mentorship, and coaching to foster professional growth and cultivate a culture of excellence.
- Establish performance goals, provide regular feedback, and conduct performance evaluations.
- Stay abreast of industry trends, advancements, and emerging technologies relevant to Software Sciences.
What You Bring
- Master's degree preferred in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field.
- 10-15 years experience in software engineering with recent experience leading a Software Sciences team
- 5+ years experience developing commercial web and desktop applications with Python or equivalent platform
- Experience building and executing software product roadmaps with clear business outcomes and prioritization of software / feature builds based on quantitative metrics
- Experience with SQL database definition and scalable design a must have
- Familiarity with programming PLC using Ladder Logic, developing SCADA system, modifying HMI, expert knowledge of process controls and controller implementation are highly desirable
- Strong leadership skills and proven experience in managing, mentoring, and developing high-performing teams.
- In-depth knowledge of software engineering principles, design patterns, and modern software development methodologies.
- Experience in driving research and innovation initiatives, with a track record of implementing novel solutions.
- Excellent understanding of emerging technologies, scientific principles, and their application to software engineering
- Strong strategic thinking and ability to translate technical concepts into actionable strategies and plans across the business
- Strong business acumen and ability to align Software Sciences initiatives with organizational goals
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have any need for accommodations, you can let us know if you choose and know that we will do our best to assist you.