Senior Principal Scientist
At Apeel, we look to nature to help the global food system extend quality, prevent waste, and ensure an abundant future for our planet.
We believe that our most essential ingredient in our recipe for success is our people. We strive to cultivate an environment where everyone is welcomed, and can bring their full, authentic selves into everything they do at Apeel. Humility, Ingenuity, Leadership and Teamwork are the values that define us and how we work with each other, customers, and communities across the globe.
Full vaccination against COVID-19 required, unless you qualify for a federally protected exemption.
About This Role
Apeel Sciences is seeking a motivated, creative, and detail-oriented candidate with an extensive background and expertise in soft matter sciences for the Formulation Sciences Team within Apeel Labs. An individual interested in this position will be responsible for characterizing and understanding the formulations developed at Apeel Sciences, with the goals of comprehending the molecular action of the formulation, improving associated benchmarks, and generating novel technologies for manufacturing and commercialization. Soft matter scientists will work with others in the Formulation Sciences Team and across the company to not only increase product performance but to understand the needs and limitations associated with production, storage, and usage of the product. A soft matter scientist will utilize the characterization techniques available (onsite and offsite) and understand their respective outputs in order to form a coherent, complete picture of the advantages, limitations, and possible optimizations of Apeel’s products.
What You'll Do
- Leverages extensive experience in industrial colloids research to launch differentiated products for agricultural coatings
- Experience leading small groups and thought leadership around design of R&D communities of practice to grow internal technical expertise
- Identify possible optimizations of Apeel Science products within the framework of existing capabilities through effective management and analysis of research data.
- Develop new formulations that meet the needs of our existing and future product portfolios.
- Develop new characterization methods to appraise product performance, stability, and viability.
- Effectively communicate methodologies and results to the Formulation Sciences Team and other divisions at Apeel Sciences in order to educate and mentor other members on the team.
- Keep up-to-date on prior and current literature associated with the formulations and be able to efficiently disseminate major results and findings to the team.
- Demonstrate a commitment to workplace safety through adherence to corporate safety policies.
What You'll Bring
- Ideal candidates for this position will hold a Ph.D. in a soft matter discipline such as physics, chemistry, chemical engineering, materials engineering, or a related field of study and have extensive experience (>10 years) in the field.
- Candidates must have made substantial contributions to the soft matter field as demonstrated by an extensive portfolio of publications and patents.
- Expert-level knowledge in the characterization of soft matter systems with a variety of techniques, including microscopic techniques (i.e., X-ray scattering, electron microscopy, dynamic light scattering) and macroscopic techniques (i.e., rheometry, calorimetry, spectrophotometry).
- Strong interpersonal skills and the proven ability to work within teams, especially as a part of multidisciplinary collaborations.
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.